Navigation by WebRing.

Tuesday, 31 March 2009

First show of the year

Sunday 29th was the first show outing of the year for Club Triumph Norfolk. 9 Triumphs + Duncans Lotus Elan SE visited Langley Daffodil Show, meeting in Loddon then driving in convoy to the show. It was a cold day, a mixture of sunny spells and clouds, with a brief hail shower. The club all parked together making for a rather nice Triumph line up.

It was also the first outing for the new, much discussed, Club Triumph Norfolk banner, which looks OK flying in the wind.

The event, traditionally the earliest classic car event in Norfolk was well attended, with a varied lineup of classics, a few tractions engines, old buses, and a line up of old agricultural hit and miss engines, various old tractors, and displays of dancing, dog training, and Art and Craft stalls.

With the Marina supposed to be one of the most under threat classics I was surprised to see 3 all together.

Sunday, 15 March 2009

Back on the Road Again

Finally back on the road again after the axle swap, re-assembled the rear brakes on Saturday morning, using the new springs, went together easily, hardest part was bleeding the brakes, mainly because my one man bleed kit tube kept coming away from the bleed nipple. Had to enrol the wife into pumping the pedal while I held it on, the tubing had lost its rigidity and would not hold, even after cutting the end back.

Took it for a little test run on Saturday afternoon, all seems OK, and the ratio seems better.

Today we took a trip into Norwich and back via the A140, A47, then back via A11 and Swallow Aquatics at East Harling to get some more miles on it and check that axle does not get hot at speed or on long run, all OK after 85 miles. Next few weeks I am earmarked for a few domestic jobs, we will have the first show of the year on the 29th, Langley Daffodil Day and Classic Car show, then it will be time to start getting the Blue FHC into shape.

Wednesday, 11 March 2009

Flying Springs

No, not road springs, brake adjuster retaining springs.
Last MondayI had the rear axle trailing arms, tie bars, and roll bar shot blasted for a tenner, then spent last week painting them.

Friday, I had a deserved day off work, aiming to get the car back on the road before Sunday. First I pressure washed under the wheelarches and boot, then when dry I applied waxoil, mostly under the car but over myself too!
Then I re-assembled the axle on the car which went very smoothly, before starting to re-assemble the brakes.

When I came to fit the brake adjuster springs, I had a mishap when trying to stretch the spring onto its location, the LH spring broke, bugger! A quick call to Robsport about 4pm Friday revealed they where in stock, but I had missed the post and would not be able to receive them on Saturday, so plans to have the car on the road where up the chute.
Then to make matters worse, when trying to put the retainer spring on the other side it slipped off the tool, went flying in the air, then over the fence into the neighbours garden. After around half an hour I gave up looking for it, so had to make a call to Robsport again. No doubt when they mow the lawn the lawnmower will find it with a bang!
So no Triumph driving this week, bit of a bugger as its very mild and warm here in Norfolk.

Sunday, 1 March 2009

Change of Plan

With the axle re-assembled, I have had a re-think of its destination, it was to be the FHC, but I am now going to swap the DHC axle, which has a 3-45 ratio, with the refurbished 3-90 ratio axle. I believe the 3.45 was fitted to American cars in 80-81, from what I understand it gives around 23 mph per 1000 revs, against the 3.90 which gives 21 mph, however I think the fifth gear ratio compromises top speed when combined with the 3.45 axle. (can someone put me right on this?)
So after jacking up the car I was surprised by the amount of deterioration on the axle, anti roll bar, tie rods, and rear trailing arms, all showing signs of surface rust, this due to keeping it on the road and un-garaged all year round for the last 2 years.

Some signs of rust.

After checking on the rear pads and slave cylinders, removing the axle was an afternoons work, liberal use of copper grease in the bushes and bolts when assembled helped here, with no seized bolts.

Brakes in good condition.

Axle removed.

With the axle removed I gave the area a good pressure wash as there was a fair build up of road dirt and salt in and around the arches, tank, etc. I will get some waxoil on it next weekend. So no Triumph driving this week, I hate having an incapacitated car.

Pressure washed.